Editorial Note: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed or endorsed by any company or third party unless clearly stated otherwise.
This is the most basic card that earns Amex Membership Reward (MR). This card earns 1 MR per dollar spend so it’s not the best but it is useful to keep your MR account active. Most of the higher earning rate of MR cards have an annual fee such as the Premier Rewards Gold ($0 first year, $195 annual fee starting the 2nd year) or the Platinum ($550 annual fee).
You can view the Terms here:
This card comes with many standards Amex Benefits such as:
- Amex Offers.
- No fee for additional authorized users.
- Return Protection: Return Protection can refund you for eligible purchase(s) charged entirely on an eligible American Express® Card. Coverage is limited to 90 days from purchase, up to $300 per item and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Card Member account per calendar year based on the date of purchase.
- Free ShopRunner membership.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance: This is Secondary to your Primary Card Insurance. So it may not be useful in most cases.
- Extended Warranty: Amex extends manufacturers warranty up to 1 year. For example, if a product you purchase has a one year warranty, Amex will give you 1 more year so the total will be 2 years.
- Purchase Protection: Up to $1000 per occurrence and $50,000 per cardholder per year. See more here.
- Here is a FAQ section for Purchase Protection if you need it.
- Sign up for this card if you want to maintain your Amex Membership Rewards account.
- Good for additional Amex Offers.
- Good to build your credit score.
Let me know if you have any question.